Alcohol Research and eHealth Technology
Volume 36, Number 1, 2014
Rapid advances in technology hold particular promise for the field of alcohol research — revolutionizing the way research is conducted and enabling us to design more effective intervention, prevention, and treatment for people with alcohol use disorders. This issue of Alcohol Research: Current Reviews reports on the state of the science and future directions in electronic health (eHealth) technologies and their potential impact on alcohol epidemiology, prevention, and treatment. As an emerging and rapidly evolving transdisciplinary field, eHealth is poised to transform the existing theories of behavioral change and models of behavioral health care. As shown in this issue, eHealth brings real-time in-the-moment monitoring of bodily and cognitive states and enables us to deliver personalized and “just-in-time” intervention.
Table of Contents
- Editors’ Note [PDF]
Tammy Chung, Ph.D. and Michael Hilton, Ph.D.
- Background for Real-Time Monitoring and Intervention Related to Alcohol Use [PDF]
Ellen Beckjord, Ph.D., M.P.H., and Saul Shiffman, Ph.D.
SPECIAL SECTION: EPIDEMIOLOGY
- Using Ecological Momentary Assessment (EMA) to Assess Situation-Level Predictors
of Alcohol Use and Alcohol-Related Consequences [PDF]
Tyler B. Wray, Ph.D.; Jennifer E. Merrill, Ph.D.; and Peter M. Monti, Ph.D.
- Tracking the When, Where, and With Whom of Alcohol Use: Integrating Ecological Momentary Assessment and Geospatial Data to Examine Risk for Alcohol-Related Problems [PDF]
Bridget Freisthler, Ph.D.; Sharon Lipperman-Kreda, Ph.D.; Melina Bersamin, Ph.D.; and Paul J. Gruenewald, Ph.D.
- Biomonitoring for Improving Alcohol Consumption Surveys: The New Gold Standard? [PDF]
Thomas K. Greenfield, Ph.D.; Jason Bond, Ph.D.; and William C. Kerr, Ph.D.
SPECIAL SECTION: PREVENTION
- Electronic Feedback in College Student Drinking Prevention and Intervention [PDF]
Jessica M. Cronce, Ph.D.; Joyce N. Bittinger, Ph.D.; Junny Liu; and Jason R. Kilmer, Ph.D.
- Putting the Screen in Screening: Technology-Based Alcohol Screening and Brief Interventions in Medical Settings [PDF]
Sion Kim Harris, Ph.D.; and John R. Knight, M.D.
- Enhancing the Use of Vehicle Alcohol Interlocks With Emerging Technology [PDF]
Robert B. Voas, Ph.D.
- Influence of Social Media on Alcohol Use in Adolescents and Young Adults [PDF]
Megan A. Moreno, M.D., M.S.Ed., M.P.H., and Jennifer M. Whitehill, Ph.D.
SPECIAL SECTION: TREATMENT
- Ecological Momentary Assessment and Alcohol Use Disorder Treatment [PDF]
Jon Morgenstern, Ph.D.; Alexis Kuerbis, M.S.W., Ph.D.; and Fredrick Muench, Ph.D.
- Mobile Delivery of Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorders: A Review of the Literature [PDF]
Andrew Quanbeck, Ph.D.; Ming-Yuan Chih, Ph.D.; Andrew Isham, M.S.; Roberta Johnson, M.S.;
and David Gustafson, Ph.D.
- Computerized Working-Memory Training As a Candidate Adjunctive Treatment for Addiction [PDF]
Warren K. Bickel, Ph.D.; Lara Moody; and Amanda Quisenberry, Ph.D.
- Computerized Cognitive–Behavioral Therapy [PDF]
Kathleen M. Carroll, Ph.D.
- The Promises and Pitfalls of Digital Technology in Its Application to Alcohol Treatment [PDF]
Frederick Muench, Ph.D.
- Privacy and Security in Mobile Health (mHealth) Research [PDF]
Shifali Arora, M.D.; Jennifer Yttri, Ph.D.; and Wendy Nilsen, Ph.D.